Thursday, September 1, 2016

Intro

My name is Carmie and I'm from Walton Hills, Ohio. 

I am a sophomore at JCU and my major is currently undecided, but I am working towards a possible degree in Management from the Boler School of Business. 

However, because of my work experiences with children at a summer camp, I am looking into possibly becoming a teacher. I would be interested in Early Childhood Education, teaching possibly 2nd grade. 

I am a competitive figure skater and this has allowed me to teach young children how to skate, which is one of the reasons why I became interested in becoming a teacher. 

Being happy and being there for the people who are most important to me are what matters most. I am a big fan of the quote "Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life," by Confucius. This is why it is so important to me that I find out if being a teacher is what I truly want to do. I found a blog post from John Engel that talks about getting an education and using that education to follow your passion. He focuses on this Confucius quote and he goes through reflection questions to ask yourself when discovering your passion. "Follow Your Passion and You Will Never Work a Day in Your Life" 
http://johneengle.com/follow-passion-never-work-day-life/ 

I think that knowing that the other students in my class are supportive and are also excited about entering the world of education. For example, just being enthusiastic to learn new things about the class and the people in it.  

My grade school years at St. Monica School in Garfield Hts. are some of my favorite years because of both my teachers and my classmates. The environment that some of my former teachers created was caring and and this made it very easy to learn in. All of the memories that I made in grade school were sort of what made me who I am today. 

I am concerned with teachers not being as enthused about teaching and that having a negative affect on students and the way they grow up thinking about education. I think that it is important for students to value education and I think that students definitely get a sense of this through their teachers and parents. 

How did you figure out what career path to follow?

No comments:

Post a Comment